Re: Installation of Recommends by default on October 1st

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 10:20:42AM +0200, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 02, 2007, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> >   *WTF* ? I mean why should I have every possible xserver video driver
>
>  You also have all possible kernel drivers built by the kernel image
>  installed; that's quite consistent with "any hardware you plugin will
>  work".  The dep allows to pick one or more drivers if you so wish
>  though.
>
>  The only alternative I can think of is to propose the installation of
>  the video driver when the hardware is detected; that's way harder to
>  implement though.

  the point is I installed the proper driver myself. The recommends line
should be xserver-video-driver-all | .... every driver |...

  So that it doesn't ask to install every driver each time. Actually the
xorg server does that using:

  xserver-video-driver-all | xserver-video-driver-1.0 and each
individual xserver-video-driver-foo provides the latter. So it seems
either --fix-policy --install-recommends does not what it's supposed to,
or apt is not clever enough yet to enable installation of recommends by
default.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit