Re: Installation of Recommends by default on October 1st

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 09:56:43PM +0200, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 01, 2007, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > > We, the APT Development Team, will change apt to install recommended
> > > packages by default on October 1st. This should give enough time to
> > Why? What is the point?
>
>  Fix Recommends!  These are nothing more than Suggests right now --
>  except in aptitude.

  Well, even if they were used properly (and we agree they aren't, see
the bug Joss filed on lighttpd e.g. ...), I'm not bought to the argument
that _apt_ should install those by default.

  I mean, recommends means that having the recommends installed may e.g.
enable some additionnal features in your package. But if the user don't
need them, then what ? he will download loads of packages for nothing ?
See openoffice.org, I think it recommends java or many things like that.
If I don't want to install java and the hundreds of megabytes it come
with, how am I supposed to do ?

apt-cache show openoffice.org-writer |grep Recom
Recommends: openoffice.org-filter-binfilter, gij | java-gcj-compat | j2re1.4 | java2-runtime, openoffice.org-java-common (>> 2.2.0-4)

  And really, I think this recommends like is perfectly correct, as many
features in OOo are enabled if you have java installed.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit