Re: stupid dependencies on update-inetd

Hi Marco,

Am So den 29. Jul 2007 um 18:58 schrieb Marco d'Itri:
> > > If you want a system without an inetd then do not it install one and do
> > > not install packages depending on it. It's really that easy.
> > Sorry but I think you didn't understand what I tryed to explain.
> I do, it's you who have no idea about the discussions of the past five
> years.

Might be. There are so much flame war on that list. Also my English is
not that good and my spare time not that much that I can read any mail
in the list; sorry.

However:

> > be installed too. Xinetd do disable such a inetd in postinstall script.
> Yes, the xinetd package needs to be integrated with the rest of Debian.

I agree.

> > However. What I did explain is that xinetd do not need to have a
> > update-inetd as the configuration is done with single files for single
> > packages.
> No, it needs an update-inetd program which can create configuration
> files in the appropriate format.

Hmmm, Wrong in my opinion. If xinetd would have its own update-inetd and
software is installed in xinetd and $ADMIN decides to switch back to
traditional inetd the configuration is inconsistent. Also the way
around.

It might be a better way to have a lintian warning if a package has a
update-inetd call and no xinetd config or vis versa. Note that xinetd do
not need the existence of a update-inetd tool ever. And other, newer
inetd might be the same. Maybe there can be a dh_ tool for creating all
needed inetd configurations.

I think that all the stuff should allow to switch from whatever inetd to
another without loosing configuration (coming from the package). And
there is only two ways how you can do that:
1. Creating all needed configurations at build time
2. Having a single update-inetd which create ALL configurarions at
   install time. But this make update-inetd package as dependency for
   installation and NOT inet-superserver (the later can be suggestion as
   well.)

Gruß
   Klaus
- --
Klaus Ethgen                            http://www.ethgen.de/
pub  2048R/D1A4EDE5 2000-02-26 Klaus Ethgen <Klaus@Ethgen.de>
Fingerprint: D7 67 71 C4 99 A6 D4 FE  EA 40 30 57 3C 88 26 2B