Re: stupid dependencies on update-inetd

Hello Marco,

Am So den 29. Jul 2007 um 13:57 schrieb Marco d'Itri:
> > The update-inetd package is finally a good way to have a system with no
> > inetd installed (or the ill situation that two (inetd and xinetd) are
> > installed the same time). Cause the inetd disease I locally created a
> If you want a system without an inetd then do not it install one and do
> not install packages depending on it. It's really that easy.

Sorry but I think you didn't understand what I tryed to explain.

The problem is not to not have a inetd installed. The problem is that
there are many inetd out there. One is the xinetd which is replacing a
"traditional" inetd completely. But today the traditional inetd has to
be installed too. Xinetd do disable such a inetd in postinstall script.

However. What I did explain is that xinetd do not need to have a
update-inetd as the configuration is done with single files for single
packages. But for legacy the inetd.conf have to be updated too in any
postinstall of any package which might run under inetd so there is the
point that you NEED this update-inetd in postinstall independent if you
ever need it for the package or if you just suggest inetd as the
software CAN run under it.

So the dependencies are hysterical^Whistorical grown but not "good".
Solution would be to depend on update-inetd if software are able tu run
under it but can be used in other way too and to depend on
inet-superserver only and absolutely only under the condition that there
is no other way to use the software than to use it with inetd. (By the
way, xinetd should normally provide inet-superserver too. But this is
another point.)

To the problem with second inetd installed on a system with xinetd: I
have the following packages installed:
- - xinetd -- which fully replaces any other inetd so no need to install
  an other one.
- - update-inetd -- To let all packages which can be run under inetd (And
  in fact run under xinetd fine) be happy in there postinstall script
  and still update the not used /etc/inetd.conf
- - netkit-inetd-dummy[*1] -- To get rid of the stupid dependencies for
  inet-superserver or even bad for netkit-inetd.

[*1] See
ftp://ftp.ethgen.de/pub/debian/pool/netkit-inetd-dummy_1.1.tar.gz

Regards
   Klaus

Ps. I xposted this back to debian-devel@lists.debian.org as this is the
right place for the discussion.
- --
Klaus Ethgen                            http://www.ethgen.de/
pub  2048R/D1A4EDE5 2000-02-26 Klaus Ethgen <Klaus@Ethgen.de>
Fingerprint: D7 67 71 C4 99 A6 D4 FE  EA 40 30 57 3C 88 26 2B