Re: Non-security updates between stable releases?

> > In the case of Iceweasel, stable already has 2.0.0.5, as this was a security
> > update.  There is supposed to be a testing security team, but evidently they
> > haven't gotten around to the Iceweasel fix. Honestly, it is a bit weird -
> > but a fact of the release system - that testing is actually *behind* stable
> > in the particular case.

Isn't this why the testing security team was formed, to address situations where there needs to be security fixes for testing like this?  Is it still operational?  If so, I'm just curious if they need help, as this is one area that could improve desktop usage - having a "testing" distribution that can reasonably be used (which includes security fixes).

Additionally, on the topic of Sid desktop usability - the Debian site says it's not recommended, and many people have reported breakage in various areas.  Also, Sid tends to undergo rapid change - i.e. glibc, X, the kernel, etc may be updated a few times in a matter of months.  It's something that is definitely fine for a Debian developer - or maybe even advanced users - but not exactly something you want to put on the average desktop.

On the other hand, Stable is often so out-of-date that it can't be installed on new hardware (this may not be the case now, but 6 months ago it was the case with Sarge).  So, in my view as a mortal user, it seems like something needs to be done.  Even with a shorter release cycle (12 months?), this would still be a long time to wait for updates for desktop users.  That's why I brought up the ideas I did...

Let me know if anything is going on in these areas.  I must emphasize that my concerns are not necessarily about me, but about desktop users in general.  Once again, thanks to the Debian developers for their work and openness in responding to my inquiries.

Tim