Re: stupid dependencies on update-inetd

On Sun, 2007-07-29 at 16:22 +0200, Magnus Holmgren wrote:

> But: AFAIU, /etc/inetd.conf is now owned by any package, because it's
> used by
> several packages and updated by update-inetd. I think it makes sense
> for
> service packages, like samba, to update inetd.conf even though no
> inet-superserver is installed, so that if/when one is installed, the
> configuration is in place. Furthermore, other inet-superservers will
> want to
> call update-inetd's update-inetd from their own update-inetd, to
> facilitate
> switching from one inet-superserver to another. On the other hand,
> perhaps
> that should be the administrator's decision: If they don't ever want
> to use
> inetd they shouldn't have to have update-inetd installed.

I think it would be better to not presume the configuration of the inet
superserver that may be installed. Perhaps dpkg-hooks are a reasonable
way to do this - packages like samba that can use but don't require an
inetd can register for an inetd hook, and when an inetd providing hook
is installed they will all get called back?

-Rob