Re: stupid dependencies on update-inetd

On Jul 29, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> The rationale for samba depending on update-inetd was that samba does *not*
> depend on the availability of an inet superserver; it only depends on the
> availability of the update-inetd interface, in order for its maintainer
> scripts to run correctly.
Again, the update-inetd interface is formally provided by
inet-superserver and not by update-inetd.

> But I would still like input on the use of this dependency for samba; I
> rather expect we would get complaints if samba depended on inet-superserver
> when it doesn't use it in the default configuration.
Do not depend on the presence of /usr/sbin/update-inetd then.

On Jul 29, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

> Couldn't any inet-superserver package that provides its own update-inetd
> also Provide: update-inetd?  Wouldn't that fix the problem?  It has to
> Conflict with update-inetd anyway.
I do not think that this corner case justifies such a change.
If packages do not strictly need an inetd then they should just suggest
inet-superserver.

--
ciao,
Marco