Re: [OT] Gnome usability [Was: adding desktop files to misc packages]

On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 14:10 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> >> I found (at least one) counter example:  I never managed to get rid
> >> of the stupid nautilus behavour to open new windows.
> >
> > Edit -> Preferences -> Behaviour -> Always open in navigation windows
> >
> > If the option name isn't clear enough, feel free to propose an alternate
> > wording; there's definitely room for improvement here.
>
> Well, there is no doubt that there is anywhere in the n-th hierarchy
> of option settings menu the option I'm looking for is hidden.  It is
> just the question whether I'm willing to spend my time to seek for
> it and I have to admit - I'm not.  This is no particular Gnome feature -
> I even prefer Gnome over KDE for the same reason.

N-th hierarchy?  Seeking?

Edit->Preferences isn't exactly buried.  I'd say that most applications
have the preferences there.

The Preferences dialog has four tabs.  One of them is called Behaviour.
Under that the third button is "Always open in browser windows".

I don't call that buried away, or hidden.  It's about as visible as it
could be without actually being a toggle button in the nautilus toolbar,
which would be silly.

> > This is intentional, nautilus is a fundamental piece of the desktop. You
> > can remove it by editing the session, still.
>
> Sure there is such an option - but it is just deeply hidden.

Preferences -> Session -> Current Session -> Remove is "deeply hidden"?
Can you suggest a better location?

Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross@burtonini.com