Re: Can we require build-arch/indep targets for lenny?

Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

>> All of my packages have build-arch and build-indep targets.  None of
>> them benefit from them at all.  I expect many other people have
>> similarly added the targets just because, or have the targets provided
>> by a build system such as CDBS, even though they don't benefit.

> For example how many sources have a tex file that they run through
> latex for a -doc package?

> grep-dctrl -F Build-Depends tetex ftp.de.debian.org_debian_dists_sid_main_source_Sources -s Package | wc -l
> 112

> That alone is already 1%.

> There might be more involved than just adding the build-arch target to
> actualy benefit from it but I see a lot more potential than 1%.

Oh, you mean "would possibly benefit if the maintainer restructures the
rules accordingly" as opposed to packages which could take advantage of it
right now.  Yeah, there are more of those, but I expect few will bother.
I have packages that generate arch-independent files, but they're done as
part of the upstream build process, and breaking apart real build-arch and
build-indep targets and patching the upstream build system accordingly
isn't worth the bother for the tiny amount of time saved.