Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 02:11:55PM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 14:36:47 +0200
> Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > If that's actually true, we could drop menu from the gnome-desktop and
> > > kde-destkop tasks. (What about XFCE?)
> >
> > I wouldn't speak for KDE, but after this discussion, I'd recommend
> > dropping it from the gnome-desktop task.
>
> It makes me wonder if there is any point keeping debian/menu at all.
>
> Why not drop the Debian Menu Policy completely? The only sane argument
> against .desktop is hierarchy support but then the most pertinent
> complaint against menu is that the hierarchy is wasteful.

The debian menu hierarchy has just been revised, and a new menu policy
has been active since a few weeks. Why not wait that out, and see
whether that improves things? Personally, I think it will improve
matters by much.

In any case, I don't think just dropping debian/menu is the best thing
to do. Perhaps make it an option, but IMO one of the main strengths
about Debian as a whole is precisely this unified menu system. If
there's an opinion floating around that the fdo menu hierarchy is much
better, then that may be a good argument to improve the Debian menu
system, but not necessarily one to drop it entirely.

[...]
  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22