Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

Daniel Leidert wrote:
> > Until there is one, I don't see any reason why I should accept patches
> > adding menu files to my packages.
>
> The .desktop format is not only about the menu item itself. It also
> contains the application <-> MIME/file type association information.

Not for any of my packages, AFAIK.

> No. The Debian menu entries do not contain the information about which
> MIME/file types can be handled nor in which menus the entry should
> occur.

The Debian menu format is flexible, it can have any necessary extra info
added to it. See for example dwww that uses the debian menu format for
manauging documentation and not starting programs at all.

> You may be able to create a Debian menu
> file from the .desktop file. But the other way would be very useless.

We ALREADY create .desktop files from menu files.

--
see shy jo