Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

Charles Plessy wrote:
> Having a .desktop file is a requrement in Ubuntu, so it is not
> surprising that people submit patches in wishlist bugs : they are
> encouraged to do so. Looking from the email adress of the bug senders
> from xgalaga and kobodeluxe, they obiously come from there.

Yes, but I'm talking about Debian, and what Debian should do.

> The FreeDesktop menu system has a mechanism to make entries invisible
> with given desktop managers. What we miss in Debian is a policy, or just
> statemenst from relevant teams, which guides maintainers when they have
> to deal with .desktop files.

Yes, that's why I started this thread.

Until there is one, I don't see any reason why I should accept patches
adding menu files to my packages.

> In the absence of any policy from the GNOME, KDE or XFCE teams, my
> personal standpoint is that entries are welcome, so I do add .desktop
> files. Acutally, I even create them when I prepare a new package which
> lacks them. I also support the idea to chose a format from which .menu
> and .desktop files would be generated. It is definitely not fun to
> maintian two similar files in parallel.

Generating both menu and .desktop files from a third format would be
pointless. Either format can be generated from the other format. menu
already generates .desktop files from menu files, and I don't believe it
would be too hard to make menu _read_ .desktop files directly and use it
as a source for the other files it generates.

--
see shy jo