Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

Le Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 04:54:07PM -0400, Joey Hess a écrit :
> I've gotten some bug reports lately asking for desktop files to be added
> to packages like xgalaga and kobodeluxe, and saw some others in the BTS.
> All of these packages, of course, already include Debian menu files. But I
> don't understand what the rationalle is behind adding a desktop file to a
> package that includes a Debian menu file and is not a Gnome/KDE component.

Dear Joey,

Having a .desktop file is a requrement in Ubuntu, so it is not
surprising that people submit patches in wishlist bugs : they are
encouraged to do so. Looking from the email adress of the bug senders
from xgalaga and kobodeluxe, they obiously come from there.

The FreeDesktop menu system has a mechanism to make entries invisible
with given desktop managers. What we miss in Debian is a policy, or just
statemenst from relevant teams, which guides maintainers when they have
to deal with .desktop files.

In the absence of any policy from the GNOME, KDE or XFCE teams, my
personal standpoint is that entries are welcome, so I do add .desktop
files. Acutally, I even create them when I prepare a new package which
lacks them. I also support the idea to chose a format from which .menu
and .desktop files would be generated. It is definitely not fun to
maintian two similar files in parallel.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy