Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

Am 2007-07-13 23:43:56, schrieb Josselin Mouette:
> Le vendredi 13 juillet 2007 à 16:54 -0400, Joey Hess a écrit :
> > I've gotten some bug reports lately asking for desktop files to be added
> > to packages like xgalaga and kobodeluxe, and saw some others in the BTS.
> > All of these packages, of course, already include Debian menu files. But I
> > don't understand what the rationalle is behind adding a desktop file to a
> > package that includes a Debian menu file and is not a Gnome/KDE component.
>
> The Freedesktop.org menu is not meant to be limited to GNOME and KDE
> components.
>
> IMO the Debian menu should be entirely deprecated unless something
> serious is done about it. Currently:
>       * It is utterly and absolutely ugly. 32x32 XPM icons are not
>         matching the graphic quality we have on the rest of the desktop.

Example?

>       * Its structure is impractical. Most important things are in
>         Applications/, which adds a menu level with no use, and several
>         submenus are useless.

Oh right, there are some Entries which can not be started form the "Menu
System" since they need at least a Parameter/Filename/XTerm and such...
For such Apps I have several times contacted the appropiated Maintainer
in the last 3 years, but nothing has changed...

This has something to do with busy or lazzy Maintainers and not the
"Menu System" itself.

>       * Most importantly, it is absolutely full of useless stuff.

Example?

> Why do we need a menu entry for each shell ? A user who wants another
> shell is most probably capable of running it himself.

How to start it form FVWM?

if I want a eTerm, and have only an entry vor XTerm schould I start
an XTerm and from the XTerm my eTerm?  --  Sounds a little bit Weird.

> A menu entry for each window manager? WTF? We can select them from the
> display manager now.

And if you do now want to logout and ONLY replace the actual WM?
(fvwm support it)

Oh yes, some of the fvwm Module entries are currently definitiv useless,
but they can be improved, since zou can load modules as you need it.
(You can create a config for it and then if you need it start it from
the "Menu System" which does not work for most Modules in the current
form)

> A menu entry for yelp? It is already accessible from all applications
> needing it and from the GNOME panel.

I have no GNOME and starting a terminal with "info" or the xman is in
the Section "Help" right placed.

> An entry for each python/TCL/guile interpreter on the system? Can't
> developers use terminals?

I found it usefull to runn a Python 2.3 and 2.4 shell or the Tclsh 8.4.

> An entry for each of the bsdgames? For nano? For so many terminal
> applications that you want to run, well, in a terminal?

Yes, since for most are no GUI applications if you NOT use KDE/GNOME.
OK, BSD games schould not be realy there (never used and I do not know...)

> Apart from a few games (see the initial request you were faced with), I
> can't find anything in the Debian menu which is neither already in the
> GNOME menu at a better place, or simply completely unsuitable for a
> graphical menu.

But what about peoples which do not RUN GNOME/KDE?

Most of the peoples I know, do not use such DE's AND WE use High-End
Machines where we can run 10 Gnome/KDE Installations in parallel without
seeing a perforance problem...

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)