Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:
> Russ Allbery wrote:

>> A related question that I've been wanting to ask for a while:  is it
>> possible to automatically generate desktop files from the menu files?

> Yes, that's how Gnome and KDE get the Debian menu items in their menus.
> :-) See /etc/menu-methods/xdg-desktop-entry-spec-apps and
> /var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/menu-xdg

> (On my system, FWIW, I have 239 .desktop files in
> /usr/share/applications and 715 in /var. So most Debian packages arn't
> including redundant .desktop files yet -- although I see a lot of
> desktop-agnostic ones like xterm and xmms that already do.

Okay, so it is redundant information that people are asking you to
include?  Basically another copy of the desktop file already generated by
the menu system but installed in a different location in the menu
hierarchy?

I suppose the reason why we're stuck with both is that upstream ships
their own .desktop files when the application is actually part of Gnome.