Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

Russ Allbery wrote:
> Okay, so it is redundant information that people are asking you to
> include?  Basically another copy of the desktop file already generated by
> the menu system but installed in a different location in the menu
> hierarchy?

Well, essentially. xgalaga's menu item generates this desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Galaga
GenericName=
Comment=
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/xgalaga-icon.xpm
Exec=/usr/games/xgalaga
Terminal=false
Categories=X-Debian-Games-Action

Bug #432398 asks me to include this desktop file in the package:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=XGalaga
Comment=Play Galaga Game
Exec=xgalaga
Icon=xgalaga-icon.xpm
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Game;

Besides using gratuitiously different menu labels for the same game,
it really doesn't seem to add much information, does it? Only real
difference is it won't be hidden in the Debian menu ghetto.

> I suppose the reason why we're stuck with both is that upstream ships
> their own .desktop files when the application is actually part of Gnome.

Yes, I'm also unsure what I should do in such cases. For example, my
just-uploaded fbreader package has a desktop file from upstream, and is
part of neither Gnome nor KDE (though it can use a gtk or qt interface).
I don't know if I should include its desktop file in it or not.

--
see shy jo