Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> Assuming that's accurate, I don't understand why we would want to add
> desktop files to lots of non-Gnome, non-KDE applications such as xgalaga
> and kobodeluxe[1]. It seems that if we added desktop files for
> _everything_, the abovementioned benefits would basically be lost. And
> we'd have to maintain both desktop files and Debian menu files for
> _everything_, which turns the abovementioned technical infelicity from
> not very nice but manageable on a small scale, to a gobal PITA.

A related question that I've been wanting to ask for a while:  is it
possible to automatically generate desktop files from the menu files?

If not, should we be enhancing the menu format so that we can?

That feels like it might give us the best of both worlds, although desktop
environments are not an area of expertise for me and I may be missing
something fairly obvious.