Re: apt-get -y upgrade for non-interactive sessions - and replacing conf files in /etc

On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 11:57:31AM -0700, Alan Ezust wrote:
> Subject: apt-get -y upgrade for non-interactive sessions - and replacing conf files in /etc
>
> Hi -  i was wondering, I'm trying to run apt-get upgrade in a
> non-interactive shell.
> I passed -y as an option, and then during the postinst, I have a
> situation where the package has a configuration file which is newer
> than what it is about to replace. I would like it to just replace the
> configuration file without asking me, but it won't do that, even if I
> pass the -y option.
>
> I realize that the default behavior of apt-get is probably valid, but
> is there a way to run apt-get such that clobbering of configuration
> files can happen without user intervention?

conffiles is a dpkg thing - not apt ....

Try something like this ...

        DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive \
                apt-get \
                        -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confnew" \
                        --force-yes \
                        -fuy \
                        dist-upgrade

I used something like this (a shell script with a couple hundret lines) to upgrade
a couple hundret machines from woody via sarge to etch ... (Can we make 6 Year
Release cycles please?).

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                  flo@rfc822.org             +49-171-2280134
	Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little