Re: Intend to orphan pscan.

On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 08:56:44AM +0900, Charles Plessy
wrote:
> The reason I ask is that in the past, even before EMBOSS
> was packaged, some people accepted to rename their binary
> so that the one of EMBOSS was left unchanged (many
> thanks).

So this has happened before and could happen in the future,
too.

Renaming a binary is a diversion from upstream, which we
want to minimize, in almost all cases. So, it seems that the
best approach is to contain the "damage" to the emboss
package.

I suggest it is also a good idea to try and convince the
EMBOSS upstream to try and avoid using binary names that
are already in use in the wild.

The /var/lib/emboss-in-$PATH approach seems best to me. You
could write a helper-script to ease inserting and removing
this from a given user's PATH and document that in the
package notes. Using debconf to set/adjust PATHs is not
wise, as this is a user-level consideration, not
system-level.

--
Jon Dowland