Re: Intend to orphan pscan.

Le Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 04:15:40PM +0200, Vincent Fourmond a écrit :

>   This is a pretty rude thing to do. It is not because a package does
> have conflicting files with yours that you should remove it. Few ideas:

>   * simply use Conflict: pscan

Hi all,

I am a bit shocked that so many think that my intention was to force Uwe
to modify his package. In the absence of answer for more than three
months, my standpoint is that a package is unmaintained. Not being a DD,
I will not give Debian lessons about how to deal with does packages. But
when somebody does not manifest his interest for his package, I have a
hard time thinking that asking what to do is rude. Now that Uwe answered
I would like to reassure you that no, I do not intend to orphan his
package anymore.

So far for the excuses.

Now for the solution, since emboss and pscan do not provide the same
functionality, using Conflicts: is explicitely forbidden by policy
10.1. Also, the policy says

 "The maintainers should report this to the debian-devel mailing list and
 try to find a consensus about which program will have to be renamed"

So definitely, if asking the question was rude, this is the place to
fix...

The 10.1 first paragraph finishes by :

 "If a consensus cannot be reached, both programs must be renamed."

So what I am doing is, instead of renaming all the conflicting binaries
of emboss, to ping maintainers first. I think that the EMBOSS users
should not be penalised by the presence of abandonned packages, so
unless a DD/DM/NM or the QA team want to take care of the packages, I
second their removal. After Uwe's answer, this concerns only hsffig
(#423289).

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy