Re: Two proposals for a better Lenny (testing related).

Qua, 2007-06-13 às 20:27 -0400, Felipe Sateler escreveu:
> Luis Matos wrote:
>
> > Qua, 2007-06-13 às 18:09 -0400, Felipe Sateler escreveu:
> >> Installing a newer kernel is not an upgrade, in a sense. You are
> >> installing new software alongside the old one. Thus the usual
> >> expectations don't hold.
> >
> > the usual expectation that i have with a new kernel is to improve my
> > operating system ... that includes no regressions on supporting my
> > hardware - for example, wifi or graphic card.
>
> But it doesn't hold, since you are actually installing a _new_ package, not
> upgrading an existing.

basically that is not true. Imagining  moving system like CUT (testing)
you must predict these issues. It is a New package, but one that can
make the system unusable (or parts of it).

> >> PS: I do agree that it would be nice if there was a way to automatically
> >> bring in the modules you are using for the new version, or at least warn,
> >> but I can't seem to figure out a nice and elegant way of doing that. And
> >> no, more people using testing won't fix this issue either.
> >
> > what about checking the *-modules-2.6.A packages available and compare
> > them with the previous version?
>
> That would live everyone waiting for the every module to be ready, of which
> they may not be using some.

true ... and if unstable has a low priority than testing, users ould
fetch that from unstable easily. But, if testing is *always* usable,
then it has to be that way.

> > if the count of both are equal, then kernel *and* modules can go into
> > testing. If, for some reason a module is not available or cannot migrate
> > into testing, kernel would not migrate.
>
> Note that independent of wether modules are in testing or not, upgrading a
> kernel *won't* install the modules (out of tree modules, that is). You
> still have to install them by hand. That is what I was referring to.

not true. there are meta pckages that do that for me.
kernel has linux-image-2.6-k8 (for example), modules have
name-module-2.6-k8 .

when an new kernel is uploaded, it is upgrade because there is a new
meta package. the same way, if there is  new module meta package, then,
the modules will be upgraded. the problem here is that the kernel meta
package is upgraded *but* because there is no modules meta package,
those are not upgraded.
I think i am not mistaken.

> --
>
>   Felipe Sateler