Re: Two proposals for a better Lenny (testing related).

On 6/12/07, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 10:29:59AM -0300, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> Considering that we know that experimental is not a full branch and
> there's no migration from experimental to unstable, do you agree then
> we could remove experimental and switch unstable automatic nature to
> not automatic (release) and keep it's current features: 'full' branch,
> migration from unstable to testing and others ?

Eh, I don't think I understand what you're suggesting here. Perhaps a
few questions will help:
* What effect do you think removing experimental will have on unstable?
* How do you think it will have that effect?

Personally, I think the net effect on _unstable_ achieved by removing
_experimental_ will be zero.

I think it will have a positive effect if we add 'NotAutomatic: yes'
into unstable release file.

* What do you mean by "switch unstable automatic nature to not
  automatic"

In a few words, move the 'NotAutomatic: yes' from experimental to
unstable and burn experimental.

* How does that fit in with "keep it's current features: 'full' branch,
  migration from unstable to testing and others"?

We've no experimental to unstable migration as you know, but the 'new
unstable' should keep its current features as full branch (all the
packages) and migration.

I'm afraid you've completely lost me in that bit of your suggestion.

I hope I was more clear now and you figure out the impact of this change. :-)

thanks,
-- stratus
http://stratusandtheswirl.blogspot.com