Re: Two proposals for a better Lenny (testing related).

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007, Felipe Sateler wrote:
> PS: I do agree that it would be nice if there was a way to automatically
> bring in the modules you are using for the new version, or at least warn,
> but I can't seem to figure out a nice and elegant way of doing that. And
> no, more people using testing won't fix this issue either.

It's not that complicated if we have the new "Breaks" field. I just
submitted my suggestion on the package linux-latest-2.6.

The idea is to have something like this:

Package: linux-image-2.6-686
Version: 2.6.21+7
Breaks: kqemu-modules-2.6-686 (<< 2.6.21+7), unionfs-modules-2.6-686 (<< 2.6.21+7), ...

That way, linux-image-2.6-686 is upgraded only if a matching
kqemu-modules-2.6-686 / unionfs-modules-2.6-686 is also available. Of
course if the user has not installed any of those packages, it's a no-op
as it should be.

Some details probably need to be worked out, but it looks like a good way
to do that.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog