Re: A sane guess at default Debian mirror for pbuilder

On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 09:39:31AM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.iki.fi> wrote:

> > However, if I did use emdebian, I would be mirroring
> > anything I need, and would be rather upset if emdebian tools would
> > insist on clogging my network connection (which I might not have
> > while running the tools -- think Debcamp).

> I understand the situation but most personal/portable mirrors only
> mirror one or at most a few architectures which makes it unusable for
> cross-building.  You would presumably have to ask in advance which
> architectures people will need to have available - that isn't
> particularly useful as a default for all users.

I'd expect that the majority of emdebian users who have constructed a
partial local mirror would be able to deal with the situation.  This is
all aimed at technical users - so long as our error handing is clear we
should be OK.  Things like "This is really slow compared to normal
downloads from my mirror" are probably just as likely.

Things like adjusting Debian mirror URLs to include the requested
architecture seem reasonable but for local mirrors I think it would be
better to improve the error handing to do things like suggest that the
architecture might not be present if it can't find the Packages file.