Re: discussion with the FSF: GPLv3, GFDL, Nexenta

On Tue, May 22, 2007, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> On ti, 2007-05-22 at 13:30 +0200, Sam Hocevar wrote:
> >     1. The GPLv3: the latest draft did not raise major objections from
> >  -legal and despite its concerns with the strategies developed in some
> >  sections, Debian does consider it DFSG-free. Debian will however not
> >  push for its adoption, mainly because we still have much software that
> >  is GPLv2-only in the distribution.
>
> Why it that a valid, or even relevant reason to avoid pushing GPLv3?

   Because software under the GPLv3 is incompatible with GPLv2-only
software, while "GPLv2 or above" software is compatible with both.
Developing or promoting GPLv3 software deliberately creates incompati-
bilities (and I'm not only referring to linking with libraries, but
also reusing code).

> What does pushing mean in this context?

   Recommending its use.

   I prefer to be cautious until we have proper figures about how much
software we have under each of the various GPL licensing options, and
how the different parts depend on each other.

Regards,
--
Sam.