Re: Building packages twice in a row

Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> > granted there are things like this, but reproducible builds would be
> > fantastic and well worth the effort.
> If you're talking about "byte-for-byte identical builds", then no, that
> would be a tremendous amount of effort for no practical gain.  There's no
> reason to consider it a bug for packages to not be byte-for-byte identical
> between two builds, so why should anyone waste time trying to "fix" it?

  We should expect that given the same source, headers, and libraries, we
would get the same bytes out of a build every time. Any deviation from this
would indicate something different, or erratic. If it doesn't cause
problems, fine, but I'd raise an eyebrow over it anyway.

  I guess it depends on how anal and pedantic you want to get.

	- Tyler