Re: Building packages twice in a row

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 11:12:56AM +0200, Richard Atterer wrote:

> > Wouldn't it be better to unpack a package twice in two different
> > directories, build and clean in one dir and then compare the obtained
> > tree with the tree available in the other dir?
>
> IMHO, a good test would be to build the package twice and then to compare
> whether the created .debs are identical between the first and second run.
> (Of course, file timestamps would have to be ignored when comparing.)

There are lots of reasons why the resulting package can differ each time
you build it, some of them perfectly valid. For example, this is not
uncommon in C programs:

printf("foo version %s (built %s %s)\n", VERSION, __DATE__, __TIME__);

Also, running update-po will always change the header of a .po file to
reflect the last time update-po was run. I don't think we can require
that building a package twice in a row produces exactly the same .deb
and/or .diff.gz.

      Guus Sliepen <guus@debian.org>