Re: Are popcon stats per package and arch possible?

On Sat, May 05, 2007 at 11:23:54AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sat, May 05, 2007 at 06:23:36PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
>
> > [Michael Hanke]
> > > To me it looks like stats for the major architectures up to (and
> > > including) powerpc are ok wrt privacy concerns. Do you agree?
>
> > I'm not sure if that would be the correct cutoff point, or if only
> > amd64 and i386 have enough submissions to ignore the privacy issue.
>
> Well, at that point what use is a per-arch stat anyway?
When I first contact some upstream authors of a software I want to
package, I often faced the argument: 'We already provide binaries that
should run on Linux systems and therefore we do not see why we should
support your packaging attempt.'

My usual answer is to describe all the nice features a Debian package
provides. After a lengthy discussion they normally agree that from the
user perspective a Debian package offers a much higher convenience level.

But sometimes upstream does not agree.

Nevertheless, when they say, 'we provide binaries for Linux', they always mean
i386 Linux with everything linked statically to a huge binary blob.

I'd really like to be able to provide some hard numbers about users of
similar packages (same field or a direct competitor) running it on
arches different from i386.

So far, I only know the general fraction of non-i386 users. But this
fraction is most likely very different for particular fields (e.g.
office suite on ARM machines or embedded sutff on AMD64).

Cheers,

Michael

--
GPG key:  1024D/3144BE0F Michael Hanke