Re: racoon and bug 372665

On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 06:36:34PM +0530, Ganesan Rajagopal wrote:

> > I'd like to discuss problem with regards to bug #372665.
> > Why the racoon should be started in the rcS when even ssh is not?
>
> The reasons should be fairly obvious from the bug. IPsec is at a much lower
> level than ssh. racoon needs to come up before other network dependent
> services get started.

README says that in the /etc/rcS.d/ should go scripts which are
executed once during boot. In debian policy manual rcS.d is
mentioned only once in section 9.3.4, but from short description it is
not clear could the daemons be started from scripts in that directory.

> > Yesterday I installed racoon but not configured it and on the next
> > reboot it blocked start-up process. I had to manually remove
> > /etc/rcS.d/S40racoon to boot machine.
>
> This should not happen. What do you mean blocked the start-up process?

My mistake. I should say boot process. Sorry for inconvenience.

That was with racoon patched to work under runit (or other supervisor
software like daemontools). When I reinstalled racoon from testing
it doesn't block booting process. But that gives mi a hint. If some
daemon process could not be started (for whatever reason) it should
not block the booting.