Re: racoon and bug 372665

> README says that in the /etc/rcS.d/ should go scripts which are
> executed once during boot. In debian policy manual rcS.d is
> mentioned only once in section 9.3.4, but from short description it is
> not clear could the daemons be started from scripts in that directory.

Some daemons _need_ to be started from /etc/rcS.d (udev for
example). Another good example is portmap for nfs. If you're mounting nfs
volumes over IPsec then, racoon needs to start to setup the IPsec tunnel.

>> > Yesterday I installed racoon but not configured it and on the next
>> > reboot it blocked start-up process. I had to manually remove
>> > /etc/rcS.d/S40racoon to boot machine.
>>
>> This should not happen. What do you mean blocked the start-up process?

> My mistake. I should say boot process. Sorry for inconvenience.

I understood that. I am still not clear why it would interfere with the boot
process.

> That was with racoon patched to work under runit (or other supervisor
> software like daemontools). When I reinstalled racoon from testing
> it doesn't block booting process. But that gives mi a hint. If some
> daemon process could not be started (for whatever reason) it should
> not block the booting.

racoon should come up just fine even if it fails to negotiate any
tunnels. Any way, the default policy does not even setup any tunnels. Let me
know if you're still stuck; I can try your patches in a test setup with
runit when I find some time.

Ganesan

--
Ganesan Rajagopal