Re: racoon and bug 372665

Hello Milan,

Milan P. Stanic <mps@oss.co.yu> wrote:

>> > I'd like to discuss problem with regards to bug #372665.
>> > Why the racoon should be started in the rcS when even ssh is not?
>>
>> The reasons should be fairly obvious from the bug. IPsec is at a much lower
>> level than ssh. racoon needs to come up before other network dependent
>> services get started.
>
> README says that in the /etc/rcS.d/ should go scripts which are
> executed once during boot. In debian policy manual rcS.d is
> mentioned only once in section 9.3.4, but from short description it is
> not clear could the daemons be started from scripts in that directory.

I like to add that starting a daemon in /etc/rcS.d/ causes troubles when
switching later to runlevel 1 (e.g. for maintenance) and coming back to
the real runlevel (e.g. 2). The script /etc/init.d/killprocs started as
/etc/rc1.d/S30killprocs kills these daemons started in runlevel S. They
are never started again and you may get a broken system, when you came
back to your default runlevel. I had/have this problem with devfsd very
often.

Regards, Jörg.
--
Ich halte ihn zwar für einen Schurken und das was er sagt für
falsch – aber ich bin bereit mein Leben dafür einzusetzen, daß