Re: Handling of (inactive) Debian Accounts

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 19:12:05 +0100, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> said:

> Le jeudi 15 février 2007 à 11:50 -0600, Manoj Srivastava a écrit :
>> On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 18:11:30 +0100, Josselin Mouette
>> <joss@debian.org> said:
>>
>> > It's because he didn't pass NM with you as AM. By repackaging
>> > stuff without debhelper, he would have learned how "fun" Debian
>> > can be.
>>
>> Do you really think snide remarks and sarcasm are improving the
>> atmosphere in the mailing lists?  That this unending miasma of
>> negativity we are currently indulging in solves anything?  Indeed,
>> the bitterness this leaves behind makes it harder for different
>> teams to work together, or communicate, which you seem to decry.

> I think you misunderstood my point. It's somehow ironic to advocate
> Debian being fun after having heavily insisted on recommending such
> practices for application managers. Or is it that DDs are able to
> have fun only after passing NM?

        I can see you have never actually packaged a .deb without
 using dpkg and debhelper and debian specific programs.  When I did
 this on a red hat box, I found the activity a great deal of fun, as
 well as being very instructive.

        We are packagers to start with. Yes, we are more than
 glorified packagers, but our primary value add is packaging and
 systems integration.  Seems like the ideal candidate would find
 learning how packages are put together and integrated a fun
 activity.

        I personally find hand crafting my packages more satisfying
 and more fun than just using helper packages.  Your mileage obviously
 has varied.

        manoj
--
Do you guys know we just passed thru a BLACK HOLE in space?