Re: /var/www or /var/web

>>>>> "sean" == sean finney <seanius@debian.org> writes:

    sean> On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 19:29 +0000, Luis Matos wrote:
    >> for example, phpsysinfo installs on /usr/share/phpsysinfo and
    >> symb links into /var/www/phpsysinfo.
    >>
    >> this is ok, but maybe, a better location is sysinfo or
    >> hwinfo. the easiest way to do this without handling links is to
    >> add an alias in the web server, which i think should be the
    >> default behaviour.

    sean> i would agree, and go further to say this should be the
    sean> *only* behaviour.

This makes it easier to setup the software to run on only one virtual
host (just use the include directive to include the config file in the
appropriate virtual host).

Of course on thing to watch out for is /etc/apache2/conf.d - I have
accidently broken all virtual servers when I upgraded a package that
recreated a symlink to a config file there - probably safest just to
delete the "Include /etc/apache2/conf.d/" in this situation.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.debian.net>