Re: /var/www or /var/web

Paul Cager <paul-debian@home.paulcager.org> writes:

> I am packaging MyServer (a small web server). By default it expects
> its document root to be /var/web.

That path shouldn't be created or modified by a Debian package, so
you'll need to change the package so it conforms to Debian policy.

> Am I right to assume I should change this to /var/www (as in
> apache2)? The FSH doesn't mention either directory.

The FHS 2.3 describes "/srv : Data for services provided by this
system":

    The methodology used to name subdirectories of /srv is unspecified
    as there is currently no consensus on how this should be done.
    ... Therefore, no program should rely on a specific subdirectory
    structure of /srv existing or data necessarily being stored in
    /srv. However /srv should always exist on FHS compliant systems
    and should be used as the default location for such data.

    <URL:http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#SRVDATAFORSERVICESPROVIDEDBYSYSTEM>

So, for content served by a web server on the system, something under
'/srv' is necessary to comply with the FHS. The most obvious choice
seems to be '/srv/www'.

--
 \         "I went over to the neighbor's and asked to borrow a cup of |
  `\    salt. 'What are you making?' 'A salt lick.'"  -- Steven Wright |