Re: possible problem with ftp.us.debian.org

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 08:37:28 -0500, Matthias Julius
<lists@julius-net.net> wrote:
>Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> writes:
>> That's why I have a local CNAME debian.debian.zugschlus.de which I try
>> to have pointing to a working germany-based mirror most of the time.
>> Saves me from updating all clients in case of a mirror failure.
>
>If you have more than a few clients it might be a good idea to have
>your own private mirror.  Then, if your upstream mirror has a
>temporary problem your private one will be a little bit out of date,
>but your clients won't notice.

I don't think that is superior to my CNAME solution if the systems are
distributed. Larger sites can have a squid with holding time for .deb
files beefed up.

>And your clients will get a faster
>response, too.

Only if the mirror is in the local network, which means that all
clients should be in the same LAN.

Greetings
Marc