Re: Proposal for Lenny: Please avoid duplicated changelogs for binary packages sharing the same source package

Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> 2) multiarch has a problem with changelogs in library packages. It
> must be possible to insall libc6:i386 and libc6:amd64. If both contain
> /usr/share/doc/libc6/changelog then that gives a file conflict in
> dpkg. Having the changelog in libc6-common beautifully solves this
> problem and avoids having to special case this in dpkg.

There is one more catch to add here: The same library can be installed
in different versions for the different arches.  IMHO this makes it
impossible for them to really share the same file.

I think the possibly cleanest solution is to install the docs in
directories with an arch specific suffix, e.g. doc/libc6_i386 and
doc/libc6_amd64.  The debhelper scripts could do that for multiarch
packages.

But, what do you do with conflicting man pages?

How is multiarch coming along?

Matthias