Re: No /dev/cdrw anymore, udev problem?

On Jan 08, Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> wrote:

> My impression is that it always takes the X string part from cdromX and
> appends it to cdrw, resulting in no "cdrw" symlink if "cdrom" has no
> writting capabilities. If I am right then... uhm, it sucks and should be
> changed ASAP. A setup like mine (first drive a pure reader and the
> second is the writter) is not that uncommon.
Yes, it works this way (see /lib/udev/write_cd_rules).
I think this is the least confusing scheme *and* other distributions
work this way too so I am not sure it's a good idea to change it.
But feel free to try to persuade me...

BTW, now I see that it's a removable device. See #395962 about how to
get really persistent names. I'd like to fix this for etch, but I am
really busy with my day job right now and I have not even been able to
follow up this bug.

--
ciao,
Marco