Re: woody removed from mirrors

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 05:01:32PM +0100, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 11:39:48AM -0500, Kevin Mark wrote:
> > > Is there a schedule for non-US and security fixes to disappear and where
> > > will they disappear to ?
> > After Woody, non-US was removed as it was not needed anymore. As for
> > maintaining non-us repositories (for woody or any thing older), this has
> > stopped. As for supporting security fixes for woody, this too has
> > stopped. Anyone wanting security support for woody can find it through
> > the FLOSS community(commercial or otherwise) or any other desired
> > commercial solution.
>
> I am very much informed about the Debian release cycles and the
> processing. I also know that non-US has been obsoleted by integrating
> crypto-in-main and i was also participating those discussions.
>
> The problem now is - Where will non-US disappear to ?
Hi Florian,
The reason there needed to be 'non-us' was because there were
political/legal problems that did not allow Debian to put them in the
desired place, main. So (unless this is incorrect) I would assume that
those packages were put into 'main', now that the reason is gone.

> Is there an archive.debian.org for non-US e.g. non-US.archive.debian.org?
As said above, I'd expect them to be in archive.debian.org under 'main'.

> And the questions about the security.debian.org woody stuff is not about
> further supporting it but rather the packages currently updateing woody.
Debian is not updating packages in Woody, its now oldstable. Debian now
has support for Sarge and will still support Sarge when Etch is released
but when Lenny is near release Sarge will stop being supported like
Woody is now (this is based upon a generalized 1 year support).
-----------------
now:
-----------------
Supported : Sarge(stable), Etch(testing)
Not supported: bo, hamm, potato, woody(oldstable)
-----------------
after Etch is released:
-----------------
Supported : Sarge(oldstable), Etch(stable),
Not supported: bo, hamm, potato, woody
-----------------
Shortly before Lenny is released:
Supported : Etch(oldstable), Lenny(stable)
Not supported: bo, hamm, potato, woody, Sarge

> I dont think they now will be copied to the main woody archive tree so
> where will the old security updates go ?
I think they would go to main.
Debian now uses 'pool' for packages, this is what makes me think this.
Cheers,
Kev
| : :' :      The  Universal     |   'under construction'   |