Re: possible grave bug in debian-installer or ifupdown?

On 12/18/06 08:18:54PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Gabor Gombas:
>
> > On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 09:23:13AM +0100, Bastian Venthur wrote:
> >
> >> But who has created the allow-hotplug-line? I thought hotplug is dead?
> >
> > Doesn't matter, udev handles "allow-hotplug" interfaces just fine, I use
> > it on several machines.
>
> I've seen it quite a few times that udev fails to bring up
> allow-hotplug interfaces.  But I haven't figured out how to reproduce
> it, probably it's some kind of race condition in the boot process.
>
> I'd definitely recommend to use "auto" instead of "allow-hotplug" for
> the primary network interface in etch.

I would agree, when I did an install of etch a few weeks ago the use of
allow-hotplug caused the network to come up later in the boot process and
caused problems with syslog-ng remote logging. Apparently when syslog-ng
can't connect to one of it's destinations on startup it fails completely,
this is probably a bug in syslog-ng but it's definitely been exacerbated by
the default ifupdown configuration in etch.

Jim.