Re: possible grave bug in debian-installer or ifupdown?

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 06:36:49PM -0500, Jim Crilly wrote:

> I would agree, when I did an install of etch a few weeks ago the use of
> allow-hotplug caused the network to come up later in the boot process and
> caused problems with syslog-ng remote logging. Apparently when syslog-ng
> can't connect to one of it's destinations on startup it fails completely,
> this is probably a bug in syslog-ng but it's definitely been exacerbated by
> the default ifupdown configuration in etch.

Yes, that's a can of worms that will have to be dealt with in the
future. Basically any network service that supports binding to just one
specific IP address needs to use /etc/network/if-{up,down}.d or similar
mechanisms.

Probably we'll need a mechanism saying that "service X depends on hw
devices Y and Z, so X should be started if and when Y and Z are both
available".

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences