Status of IPW3945 (Was: IPW3945)

        Hi,

 Here's a short status of IPW3945 in Debian:
 IPW3945 needs three things: firmware (binary blob), driver, and daemon
 (non-free):
 - firmware is in firmware-ipw3945, up-to-date with upstream
   (<http://bughost.org/ipw3945/>) at version 1.13 in etch/testing;
   maintained by the Kernel team
 - public packages for the driver may be found on personal web sites of
   various people, I've found Joachim Reichel, Russel Stuart, and Stefan
   Lippers-Hollmann to be providing such packages; I could update the
   more recent version based on a packaging mostly by Kel Modderman to
   the latest upstream version for my local needs, and it works like a
   charm, especially with the patches Kel has been adding recently;
   Daniel Baumann ITPed this driver, and Kel requested comments on his
   packages on the debian-mentors@ list
 - daemon is also available publicly from Joachim Reichel's site; Jurij
   Smakov ITPed the daemon, and started separate packaging efforts which
   he offered for comments as well recently; I've tested the packages of
   Jurij, and they work nicely (except for a point I believe is being
   addressed)

 I believe the latest versions of the above packages are of release
 quality, and I wish they ship in etch as well.

   Bye,
--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>