Re: Downgrading the priority of nfs-utils

Anthony DeRobertis <anthony@derobert.net> writes:

> I think you've misunderstood the purpose of the default installation.

That might be.

> It's not the bare minimum to make the system work (that's Essential:
> yes). It's the standard stuff that everyone expects to be on a UNIX
> system, including things like a working c & c++ compiler, etc. 70% of
> users using something is, IMO, a very strong argument for it to be
> installed by default.

I don't have a UNIX background.  So I don't know what everyone expects
to be on a UNIX system.

> (Remember: installed by default does not mean you have to install it. It
> just means if you don't manually select packages, it will be installed).

This in practice means almost the same.  If it is selected by default
only very few users will de-select it.  On the other hand, if someone
needs it it's easy to install.

Generally I am in favor of the default install beeing really minimal
(only essential packages) and let the user decide which packages he
wants.

Matthias