Downgrading the priority of nfs-utils [was: Re: Upgrading the priority of ucf]

Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> It has recently come to my attention that nfs-utils (which is priority
> standard) cannot depend on ucf, since ucf is of priority optional.
>
> I can only see four solutions for this:
>
>  a) Ignore the problem for etch, figure out what do to afterwards.
>  b) Downgrade nfs-utils' priority (but I don't think this is a very good
>     idea).
>  c) Rip out the ucf dependency (possible, but far from ideal; using ucf
>     instead of regular conffile handling allowed me to close a few bugs,
>     at least one of them RC).
>  d) Upgrade ucf to priority standard.
>
> I'd personally go with d); would anybody have objections to this? (Cc-ing
> Manoj as the ucf maintainer, even though I'd believe he reads -devel.)

I would suggest b); reducing the "standard" set of packages seems like a
feature, it won't break upgrades (if installed, the package will stay
installed), and new installs don't need to get nfs-kernel-server as part
of the *default* install.  If someone wants to run an nfs server, they
can install an nfs server package, either nfs-kernel-server or
nfs-user-server (no good reason to prefer one to the other).

- Josh Triplett