Re: ./configure in debian/rules

Russ Allbery wrote:

Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> writes:

I'm one of the people who actually helped design the GNU Makefile and
configure standards, and --host does not "signal that you're
cross-compiling."  What signals that you are cross-compiling is a
disagreement between --host and --build.

That's the old way.  Autoconf changed this in the current releases.  Now,
specifying --host signals that you're cross-compiling, whether it
disagrees or not.
Yes, this was not a backward compatible change.  A lot of people were
upset about it.  And yes, it was a change in the GNU Makefile and
configure standards.  But see the current Autoconf manual:

`--host=HOST-TYPE'
    the type of system on which the package will run.  By default it
    is the same as the build machine.  Specifying it enables the
    cross-compilation mode.
That is to say the least a very confusing statement. But OK, I suppose
that avoiding side-effects was not part of the reasoning behind this change;-(

Also, why is it then not an error to pass --host=X together with
--build=X? According to that description, this is the default and enables both cross-compilation as well as native mode at the same time!!!

There's a long archived discussion on the Autoconf mailing list about it.

Will look at it, thanks.

Pjotr Kourzanov