Re: ./configure in debian/rules

Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> writes:

> I'm one of the people who actually helped design the GNU Makefile and
> configure standards, and --host does not "signal that you're
> cross-compiling."  What signals that you are cross-compiling is a
> disagreement between --host and --build.

That's the old way.  Autoconf changed this in the current releases.  Now,
specifying --host signals that you're cross-compiling, whether it
disagrees or not.

Yes, this was not a backward compatible change.  A lot of people were
upset about it.  And yes, it was a change in the GNU Makefile and
configure standards.  But see the current Autoconf manual:

`--host=HOST-TYPE'
     the type of system on which the package will run.  By default it
     is the same as the build machine.  Specifying it enables the
     cross-compilation mode.

There's a long archived discussion on the Autoconf mailing list about it.