Re: ./configure in debian/rules

Steve Langasek wrote:

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 09:17:19AM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
Pjotr Kourzanov wrote:

Yes, but the point was that mainteners get a warning from the
regular build system that their package is not cross-compile friendly.
That needs to hook into dpkg-buildpackage then, I'm afraid...

Please don't do this. Some packages choose to not be cross-compilation friendly instead of carrying around an enormous diff for full relibtoolisation or similar. I've generally had more trouble with passing --target and --host than not, but I don't use cross-compilation, so I might be biased.

Well, you shouldn't pass --host *except* when cross-compiling; the
autotools-dev package shows how to do this.  But at least --build is always
a sane thing to specify, and usually saves you from upstreams optimizing for
the wrong architecture based on config.guess...

Why not? The only quirk I found was that I needed to make a
"ln -s . `dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE`" in /usr.
Why isn't this link part of the base-files BTW?

GCC packages already make links named `dpkg-architecture
-qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE`-{cpp,g++,gcc}{,-3.3,-3.4,-4.0}...

After that, both cross and native builds from the same sources
configured with --host=${DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE} work correctly.

But I agree, to be on the safe side, it's indeed possible to exclude
native builds from being configured with --host.

Pjotr.