Re: debian-private and Gmail

Ben Pfaff <blp@cs.stanford.edu> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

>> I don't think singling out Gmail makes a great deal of sense.  Any mail
>> server with which one does not have a contractual privacy agreement
>> would be in the same boat.

> For example, Stanford's webmail system, which on every login forces each
> user to click through an agreement that states the following:

>     Users have no expectation of privacy while using this system
>     and uses, data, and transmissions on this system may be
>     intercepted, monitored, recorded, copied, audited, inspected,
>     and disclosed at the discretion of Stanford University and
>     subject to applicable laws.

> If we're going to disallow getting developers' debian-private mail
> delivered to gmail, then we're going to have to disallow it getting
> delivered to Stanford, too, at least if the developer ever uses the
> webmail system.

Yeah, exactly.

And while I know from insider information that Stanford wouldn't disclose
people's e-mail to general third parties, I have no idea to what degree
Stanford would fight subpoenas and would hesitate to even speculate.  And
Stanford is probably much more aggressive about fighting for its users'
privacy than most ISPs, which have no actual relationship with their users
beyond some tiny monthly fee.