Re: Naming a 32-bit/64-bit specific Java package

On 11/28/06, Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org> wrote:
But you will have complicated dependency problems. Or at least
users will install the wrong version, or do you intend to only release
the 64 bit version on 64 bit systems? and the 32 bit version on 32 bit
systems? I do not really see the point.

If you can not handle this really architecture independently then
you should really have it arch: any.

I'm personally leaning towards to two arch: all packages (one 32-bit,
one 64-bit) and a meta-package which depends on the right one. I am
considering and open to the one arch: any package though. If it
affects the decision, the binary package is roughly 1.2 MB.

Would anyone that's interested in this technical choice please throw
in their opinion? The options are:

1. 2 arch-all packages, one meta-package
2. 12 arch-any packages

An other alternative is to provide both jars in the same package and
have a startup routine to select the correct version automatically.

I veto the runtime option on the grounds that I don't like it. =)

Cheers,
Shaun