Re: RFC: behaviour of "bts show" command with new BTS default behaviour

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 09:57:21AM +0000, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 12:56:32AM -0500, Theodore Tso wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 01:02:06AM +0000, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > >
> > > Thinking of changing the default behaviour of the devscripts "bts show"
> > > (aka "bts bugs") command, and want to ask for opinions before I do so.
> > >
> > > The BTS behaviour of http://bugs.debian.org/<package> has recently
> > > changed.  It used to resolve to:
> > >
> > > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=<package>
> > >
> > > which listed all open and closed bugs in the package, without any
> > > version tracking being taking into consideration in the listings.
> > >
> > > It now resolves to:
> > >
> > > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=<package>;dist=unstable
> > >
> > > which lists the status of all bugs in that package in respect to the
> > > version(s) of the package currently in unstable.
> >
> > I prefer the new behaviour, myself.  If it must be changed, can it be
> > configurable via some kind of .btsrc file?

	I'd like the new behaviour better also.

> Given the second half of your post, please let me clarify the new
> behaviour for you.
>
> I fixed bug#396232 in devscripts version 2.9.24.  But when I went to
> http://bugs.debian.org/devscripts, it listed this bug among the open
> bugs.  Why?  Because m68k or some other arch had not yet autobuilt
> version 2.9.24 and was still on 2.9.22.  However, the
> non-version-tracking page showed this bug as fixed.

	Yes, this is IMHO a little drawback, but doesn't seem terrible to me,
and I also consider good that maintainers are aware that the bugs are
not yet close on all archs.

	There has been comments whether the default unstable view should take
into consideration only release-archs or not, that's another topic but
might be related if you are mostly annoyed by non-release candidate
archs.

> I'm not sure I'd like to make it configurable, as that could lead to
> much confusion and error.  It is not particularly difficult to type
> 'dist=unstable' after the package name if that is truly what you want
> (which, I believe, is not likely to be the case for many
> maintainers).

	I think that for the regular DD (IANADD yet, but I am maintainer)
typing dist=unstable every time they need to use bts IS annoying, so
yes a configurable option is the least I would humbly expect.

	You do have a point in maintaining previous behaviour, but I also
think that keeping idempotent 'bts show' and http://p.d.o/packages is at
least for me a valuable thing, since I use them as equivalents.

	Either way, thanks for your work on bts, it rocks!

--
Damián Viano(Des)              ¯ ¯ - _           _ - ¯ ¯
GPG: 0x6EB95A6F                 Debian ¯-_GNU_-¯ Linux