Re: Is something wrong to XGL, Compiz, Cgwd be packaged?

On 10/28/06, David Nusinow <dnusinow@speakeasy.net> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 02:30:19PM -0200, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> If we're going to ship xorg with aiglx and composite enabled by
> default (actually i dunno really), beryl in etch and in default
> desktop environment (just listed not enabled by default) would be a
> huge win, maybe it's too late now. I would like to point out this
> anyway.

AIGLX is enabled by default in etch already. Composite is not, although we
could enable it. I don't know what the impact would be on kde users though,
as I understand kwin has a compositing manager, although it might not be
able to take advantage of the acceleration hooks like compiz and beryl do.
Compiz should ship with etch, and turning on composite in xorg.conf is
trivial, so I'm not too worried about having it off by default in this
release. I don't really  understand your definition of "default desktop
environment", so I can't comment on that...

In other words, with the d-i in Etch our users will be able to easily
install KDE and Xfce with the most important related packages and
GNOME will be easier than that. Just the result of the tasksel team,
d-i team, related desktop environment teams, debian-desktop and some
others work. :-)

If there will be no regressions, please add the composite bit in the
xorg.conf by default.

> My opinion is based as a beryl user in an ibook with 'heavily'
> customized Debian and not so customized Ubuntu (just needed to push
> beryl from 3rd party repository).

How heavily customized does your debian install have to be? I just
installed the packages from the XSF svn repo and beryl worked out of the
box, once I enabled composite. This is pretty minimal.

I bet that  the XSF svn repo already contains that endianess fix,
right? as i told you, i'm using ppc (ibook). :-)

regards,
-- stratus